It's about time.
After 35 different agenda items regarding the to come before the Board of Commissioners in nearly two decades, citizens and officials alike said in various ways, it's about time.
The project was first approved in 1994, but due to lack of funding and design delays, it was continually delayed.
On Thursday, community members and Cobb officials gathered at the Historic Mable House for a groundbreaking to commemorate the start of the $4.9 million road-widening project, which begins at Clay Road and ends at Hicks Road.
About 80 percent of the funding will come from GDOT, while the county will pay the remaining 20 percent to Baldwin Paving, the construction company which placed the winning lowest bid on the project.
The first project will widen the narrow road to two 11-foot wide lanes in both the northbound and southbound directions, divided by a 20-foot-wide raised median.
The second project includes a 10-foot-wide walking trail on one side of the road, connecting to the Silver Comet Trail and five-foot-wide sidewalk along the other side of the road.