According to WetFeet.com, the average recruiter sees 5,000 resumes a year. Any legitimate reason she finds to make one disappear makes her life that much easier and yours that much harder. Common ways to get your resume deleted or recycled with other office paper:
- Informality of email. Assume that a person—not a computer—will be reading your resume.
- Keyword overuse. Again, assume that a human will read your resume and cover letter.
- Too much personal information. It is illegal for a company to solicit a candidate’s age, race, or marital status during the hiring process; firms have adopted a “don’t tell” policy to avoid potential bias suits. Many won’t risk even having it handed to them.
- Stand out design. When recruiters see a resume that’s designed differently, they think the person’s trying to hide something.
- Social media content. 45 percent of recruiters use Facebook and Twitter to screen applicants, according to a 2009 CareerBuilder survey of hiring managers.
Click on the employment opportunity title to apply.
Memco Solutions, Inc. seeks an office assistant with construction knowledge. Must be bilingual Spanish/English. Experience with JD Edwards accounting software preferred. Candidate must be in good physical condition, able to lift 75 pounds, and must not be afraid of heights. $12 - $15/hr.
Mahone Group is known to deliver quality staffing solutions for more than 20 years. Mahone is seeking an assistant for an 18-hour manufacturer near I-75 for a three-month contract. The pay is $18/hr. Must have HRIS experience entering and maintaining employee data, previous experience with SAP-HCM, PeopleSoft, Oracle HR or Workday, and a minimum three years related experience in HR. Bachelor's degree preferred.
Private person seeks a caregiver for 29-year-old Down Syndrome man. One weekend a month and as needed. If approved you can either keep him at his home or at yours. Weekend will be from Friday 4:30 p.m. to Sunday 4:30 p.m. Pay is $220. Need to be first aid and CPR certified.
Halcrow Urban Water Planning Department seeks a paid intern. Candidates should be able to demonstrate course work in hydraulics, water resources and civil and/or environmental engineering. Must be currently enrolled in an accredited engineering program majoring in civil, structural, water resources environmental or construction management.
The Walker School, an independent, co-educational, college-preparatory day school, is offering an $8/hr paid term-limited internship in the Development Office. Candidates must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university. Candidates must be available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, but full-time availability is preferred. The ideal candidate will be pursuing a course of study in communications, public relations, marketing or a related field.