Here are upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. Day events and closures. If we missed your event or closure, please post it in the comment box below or email it to email@example.com.
Martin Luther King Jr. Story Time
- What: Celebrate his life through books, songs and music. The event is free.
- When: Friday, Jan. 13 from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m.
Tavis Smiley Presents: MLK, A Call to Conscience
- What: The hour-long documentary delves into one of Martin Luther King Jr.’s greatest speeches, "Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence," delivered on April 4, 1967. Today this speech is acknowledged to be one of the most powerful written by King, and Smiley deconstructs the meaning of the speech and puts it in contemporary context, particularly in light of our nation’s current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The event is free.
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
Family Film: Ruby Bridges
- What: In honor of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday and the Civil Rights Movement, the 90-minute film Ruby Bridges will be shown. When bright 6-year-old Ruby is chosen to be the first African-American to integrate her local New Orleans elementary school, she is subjected to the true ugliness of racism for the very first time. The event is free.
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 from 3:30 to 5 p.m.
Celebrate: the Life, the Dream, the Legacy
- What: The 26th annual celebration will include performances by locals and the presentation of the Living the Dream award to someone who demonstrates King's ideals. The event is free.
- When: Monday, Jan. 16 at 10 a.m.
- Where: Jennie T. Anderson Theatre,
- What: This event features speakers, performers and health screenings are featured. Count Me In, Cobb Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, the Austell Community Taskforce and the Keystone Teens have partnered to present this dynamic MLK Day event. Volunteers are still needed. Please call (770) 819-3240 for volunteering details.
- When: Monday, Jan. 16, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration Story Time
- What: Children will celebrate his birthday by reading books about his life and important historical events. The event is free.
- When: Thursday, Jan. 19 from 3:30 to 4 p.m.
- Where: Stratton Library
Closures on Monday:
- Cobb County government offices, schools and libraries
- City of Austell will close its offices at 3 p.m.