Here are the latest updates on road work being done around South Cobb and other parts of the county during the week of Aug. 19-23, according to the Cobb Department of Transportation.
Floyd Road Construction
Cobb Department of Transportation continues to widen 1.1 miles of Floyd Road, from five-lane undivided with narrow lanes to four 11-foot lanes median divided. The project is from Clay Road to Hicks Road and also includes a multiuse trail and sidewalk. The Floyd Road project is funded by Cobb's 2005 Special Local Option Sales Tax program and scheduled for completion in early 2014.
Clay Road to Hicks Road
Expect periodic lane closures 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Monday through Friday with one lane remaining open.
Temporary sidewalks are in place to assist pedestrians along the east side of Floyd Road. Additional traffic barrels and directional signage are in place to assist pedestrians needing access to existing bus stops on the west side of Floyd.
Church Street (Mableton Elementary) Sidewalk Construction
Expect intermittent lane closures 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday with one lane remaining open while the contractor continues final clean up and punchlist work.
Brookwood Drive Sidewalk Construction
Silver Comet Trail to Anderson Mill Road: The contractor will continue installing water main, storm drainage, curb and gutter and utility relocation from Monday through Friday.
Al Bishop Drive Trail Construction
Callaway Road to County Services Parkway: The contractor will continue grading and begin placing asphalt trail.
Powder Springs Bridge Replacement over Silver Comet Trail
Powder Springs Road will be closed from Richard D. Sailors Parkway to Austell Powder Springs Road, and is expected to open by Friday, Aug. 23.
Asphalt paving operations are scheduled for the following roads Monday through Friday. Expect lane closures though one lane will remain open at all times:
- Flint Hill Road from Ewing Road to Powder Springs Road
- Sanders Road from Powder Springs Road to Chestnut Grove Road
- McDuffie Road from Anderson Mill Road to Austell Road
- Clay Road from Austell Powder Springs Road to Austell Road
- Hilcrest Drive from South Gordon Road to Six Flags Parkway
- Pair Road from Powder Springs Road to Shadyside Parkway
- Shadyside Road from Pair Road to Hurt Road
- Night work: Hicks Road from Floyd Road to Austell Road
- Night work: Six Flags Drive from Blair Bridge Road to Factory Shoals Road
- Night work: Old Bankhead Highway from Veterans Memorial to Old Powder Springs Road
- Night work: Six Flags Road from Riverside Parkway/White Road to Douglas County
- Night work: Humphries Road from Hiram Lithia Springs Road to CH James Parkway.