Spring brings warmer temperatures and tons of fun activities for South Cobb. This weekend is packed with great events and service opportunities for Austell and Mableton.
- Mableton Elementary will celebrate 60 years at its present site and more than 100 years of existence. The nearly 900 students of Mableton Elementary and Sky View Elementary will be housed in a replacement school behind Mableton Elementary's current site. The celebration, Remember Mableton School Day, will take place at the school at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
- South Cobb School Board member David Morgan will hold his monthly town hall meeting on Saturday at Riverside Intermediate to discuss the district's budget, graduation rates in South Cobb and the possible third grade retention policy. The meeting begins at 1 p.m.
- Come be a part of the hundreds of Cobb County citizens who are cleaning up three sites in South Cobb as part of the Great American Cleanup, hosted by Keep Cobb Beautiful. The group is looking for 400 volunteers, ages 13 and older.
Site 1: Wallace Park – Cleanup and Revitalization (9 a.m.–3 p.m.)
Base Address: 6289 Pisgah Road, Mableton
Volunteers needed: more than 100
Site 2: Mitchell Lane Cleanup (9 a.m.–5 p.m.)
Base Address: area surrounding/adjacent to 4845 Mitchell Lane, Austell
Volunteers needed: more than 150
Site 3: Six Flags Neighborhood Clean Sweep (9 a.m.–2 p.m.)
Base Address: 875 Six Flags Drive, Austell
Volunteers needed: 100
Morning snacks and lunch will be served to all volunteers and water provided all day. At least a four-hour commitment is preferred from each volunteer. For more information, or to register you or your group to volunteer, call 770-528-1100 or email KCBVolunteer@cobbcounty.org.
- Chick-Fil-A is hosting its Mother-Son Date Knight on Saturday from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at various Georgia locations. Reservations are required. To make sure you get a spot, sign up for your reservation here. The Austell location is out of reservations, but there are some left at the Cumberland location!
- Get in shape for the upcoming Mableton Day 5K on Saturday at 9 a.m. with the Mableton Improvement Coalition and your neighbors! The group is meeting each Saturday until the event at the Mable House Barnes Amphitheatre. Participants must be in proper physical condition to run or walk. Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.