Floyd Road Construction Well Underway
The project to widen Floyd Road is now underway.
You’ve probably noticed the orange barrels and about a dozen bulldozers and backhoes lining Floyd Road these days. They’re evidence that construction of the Floyd Road improvements is moving along nicely.
In June at the Historic Mable House, officials broke ground on the road-widening project, which begins at Clay Road and ends at Hicks Road.
The $4.9 million road-widening project first approved in 1994 had been continually delayed due to lack of funding from GDOT and redesign issues once traffic began to pick up on the busy Mableton artery. Over the almost 20 years since then, there have been approximately 35 Cobb Board of Commissioners agenda items related to the project, officials said at the June groundbreaking.
The first project will widen the narrow road to two 11-foot wide lanes in both the northbound and southbound directions, divided by a 20-foot-wide raised median.
About 80 percent of the funding will come from GDOT, while the county will pay the remaining 20 percent to Baldwin Paving.
A second Floyd Road improvement project includes a 10-foot-wide walking trail on one side of the road, connecting to the Silver Comet Trail and five-foot-wide sidewalk along the other side of the road.
Baldwin Paving was awarded the contract for both projects after placing the lowest bid of $5.6 million for the project, according to Cobb Pre-construction Manager James Hudgins.